Are you confused, frustrated and stuck up with the potential problems of your life? Are you finding it difficult to reach to a right decision? Are you bottled up to your neck with negative, depressing emotions and have no one to share with? Do you want to know more about yourself – your positive and negative side, values, weaknesses, belief system and so on?… If you are going through one of these phases, then you are at the right place now.
Therapeutic writing may sound silly at first, but if utilized in a proper way it offers a lot of multi-faceted benefits to daily life ups and downs. Here are some benefits of therapeutic writing:
Therapeutic Writing Benefits:
- Self-knowledge and expression
- Channelization of emotions
- Development of insight
- Stress management and conflict resolution
- Enhancement of outlook, understanding and other core skills
- Improvement of cognitive skills like thinking, planning, decision-making, and so on
- Serves as a key factor in problem-solving
So, those were some of the important benefits of therapeutic writing. Apart from these, it also offers a huge opportunity for:
- Looking into the different aspects of life,
- Rejoicing positive moments spent,
- Insight into ones own life, values, virtues and life cycle,
- Positive and negative sides
- Strengths and weaknesses
Now let us look into some of the methods or steps of therapeutic writing:
- Relax yourself, sit in a comfortable position and make sure that the environment around you is calm and quite, away from distractions.
- Make the writing material ready. If you want to write it in a diary or journal you can use it creatively and in a nice manner too. You can see them and decorate them as per your own sweet will. However, there are also online platforms that offer safe and secure area for writing your heart out. This is also a good option.
- A good sitting position and adequate lighting play a vital role in helping you write in a lucid and vibrant manner. So, make sure that these aspects are in the proper place too.
- First you need to write anything and everything that is in your mind, or that is bothering you. In other-words, it is a cathartic writing process that will act as a vent to all your pent-up emotions, problems and concerns.
- Then, the next step is to write about your feelings concerned to the above person or situation.
- Write about what step you are going to take in order to deal with those feelings and emotions
- After that, you need to write about your positive values, virtues and where you need to fine-tune yourself and how.
- Write about your short-term and long-term goals
- Create a hierarchy of your goals
- Write about plans and strategies to achieve them
The above mentioned steps need not be done all at once. You can do it at your own convenience and pace. Doing the above mentioned steps will not only help you to know yourself mote, release all your negative emotions… But also will impart you significant and worthy tools to deal with the potential problems of your life, know about your life goals and achieve them. It will also help you in problem identification, and problem solving. Therapeutic writing has all-round effects on one’s body, mind and life as a whole.
Leave A Comment