Are you an extrovert or an introvert; do you like to mingle with people or do you like to stay inside your own cocoon..? Since the inception of civilization we are taught that man is a social animal. In order to lead a meaningful life and work towards all-round development socialization plays a vital role. Some of you must be very comfortable in socializing with others, while for some of you it must be like a Herculean task. I was also quite shy when I was young. Can you believe I never talked to a boy in my class? When a guy would ask for my notes or something I would just nod my head, give my notes and literally vanish from there. But, gradually my class teacher taught me lessons on self-worth, socialization skills and communication proficiency. Today I can talk to anyone and everyone… I can talk for hours and days altogether unless someone comes and shuts my mouth. I can easily interact with anyone. If I can do it, I am sure that all of you can fine-tune your socialization skills too.
But, first let us see how sociable you are. Try to answer the quiz that follows. It is a test of your socializing skills. Let’s see how you do this:
• Do you find it quite easy to intermingle with others?
• Do you like going to parties, functions and other social events?
• Do you get too conscious in front of others?
• Do you get uncomfortable while speaking to others?
• Does interaction with people and even the thought of it/socializing makes you feel nervous and anxious?
• Do you like to stay in isolation, inside your own cocoon/world or comfy zone?
• Are you the one who takes the first step in conversation and making friends?
• Do you like being the “center of focus/attention”?
• Do you get nervous while carrying yourself in a party or social setting?
• Are you too much concerned about what people will say or think about you?
• Even if you are not at fault do you hold yourself responsible for whatever bad happens?
• Do you feel like people are talking behind your back or are resorting to backbiting?
• Self-confidence, self-worth and esteem… Do you think you need to work more on these?
• Can you talk and interact with people very easily?
• In a group conversation what role do you play: The leader who initiates; the moderator who intervenes and talks or the by-stander who just observes and listens?
• Can you start a conversation with a know person as well as a stranger quite easily?
• What would you consider yourself: A social hero or a timid guy?
So that was the socialization test. If you have answered with positive answers then you are indeed a very sociable person and carry out yourself well in front of others. But, if you have answered most of the questions negatively then probably you need to fine-tune your socialization skills. Don’t worry folks! If I could transform myself from a shy gal to a highly socializing person – you can do it too. You just need to know some tips and tricks to socialize well. If that is difficult then one magical pill is there: And that is, Self-acceptance and Self-recognition. The more you know about yourself, your strengths, weaknesses… the more you can enhance your self-confidence, self-esteem and reflect your brighter side to the world around you. If you want to know more about how to socialize effectively then check out my blog: How to Improve Your Socialization Skills
“Isolation and silence gives us wisdom, but socialization is the mirror of who we are, where we are and what we need to do…”
Leave A Comment