Helped are those who create anything at all, for they shall relive the thrill of their own conception and realize a partnership in the creation of the Universe that keeps them responsible and cheerful.
– Alice Walker
The essence of the world, the life force within you-me-everyone around us is “conception”. Without it life would be lifeless and impossible. Do you know that among all organisms, human conception is very rare? Some can conceive too easily, while others have to struggle a lot in order to be showered by the eternal “baby-dust”. Moreover, human beings can reproduce only once a year with babies ranging from single-born, twins to quadruplets. Whereas, in case of animals and other living beings conceiving and birth is a different process and perspective. That is why human conception is so unique, rare and spectacular. Isn’t it a wonderful thing? With it comes a spark of happiness as well as new responsibilities and commitment. When you procreate and bring your baby into this world, you create a replica of your own existence as a whole.
Conceiving is like an easy process for some couples, but for some it is a long phase of efforts and struggle. This post is dedicated for all parents-to-be, for the once who are going to start planning for a baby and for the ones who want to know more about conception, pregnancy and childbirth.
In the generic sense of the term, conception means fertilization of the male and female gametes and implantation of the fertilized egg in the uterus or womb. The fertilized egg has now nine months to develop and grow into a baby. When the term and process looks so short and simple, what makes it so difficult to achieve in case of some couples? Even if some couples manage to get through the threshold of conception, why cannot they reproduce full-term babies? What is it that creates a difference or bifurcation between conceiving, getting pregnant and entering into parenthood? Well, these are many kinds of questions that hit our mind. Even if they are various steps to a common end, that is, giving birth to a baby…there is a thin line that separates all these aspects.
Following are some of the psychophysical techniques that would help you to increase the odds of conceiving:
- Even before you plan for a baby talk to your partner about the kind of baby you both want, personality traits and so on.
- It is wise to seek a “pre-conception counseling” before starting to plan for the little one’s advent.
- Check your TSH levels (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Levels), blood sugar, hormone levels, increase your knowledge about ovulation, make an ovulation calendar, and get yourself registered in a website for more information and support system. Talk to your doctor about all these aspect in the “pre-conception counseling”.
- It is said that eating of Folic acid tablets 3 months prior to planning of a baby helps increase odds of conception, keeps the child healthy and away from diseases like cleft palate, nutritional deficiencies and so on. So during the pre-conception counseling, this is also an important point to discuss with your doctor or OBGYN.
- Be physically and mentally prepared for parenthood. Plan your expenses; manage your finances and savings.
- Eat healthy meals, exercise regularly but only mild workouts, meditation and breating exercises are also helpful.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle, cut out your alcohol intake, caffeinated drinks, smoking and other dangerous habits.
- Keep a daily journal, encircle yourself with good vibes, try to remain stress-free as much as possible and try to remain calm, happy and composed. Moods, emotions, stress levels also play a vital role in conception.
- Certain sexual positions aid deep penetration of the male sex organ into the female counterpart. These positions are basically the missionary position (man on the top) and side ways position (lying to your sides). Such positions make the conception process easier by helping the sperms to be ejaculated deep into the uterus or the egg that is ready to be fertilized.
- Men need to avoid wearing tight boxers and women need to avoid too tight clothing, particularly in the abdominal area. Tight clothes thrust a negative impact on fertility.
- If your age is under 30 and you have tried for a year, it is high time to consult a doctor if you haven’t conceived yet. Similarly it’s the case for one who is above 30 years and has tried conceiving for more than 6 months. As we age, our fertility declines.
- Self-affirmations about conceiving, accupressure, accupuncture, reiki, etc are also some of the effective ways of increasing odds of conceiving.
- Patience, perseverance, knowledge, expert advice and determination are the greatest pillars of strength in the road to conception.
- Finally, do not stress yourself out by the word “baby” always at the back of your mind. Start correct, eat right, think great and do fab. When all the aspects are brought to an optimum level…enjoy your love-making…your baby will arrive when the time is ripe.
Pregnancy and Childbirth:
This is particularly the golden period every couple thrives or pines for. Almost everyone planning for a baby jumps out of thrill and joy when he/she gets the slightest clue of his partner’s pregnancy and upcoming parenthood. Nesting is something that is very primitive to organisms on this planet and human beings are no exception to it.
Let me tell you about the important do’s and don’ts during pregnancy and childbirth:
- Once you found out that you/your partner is pregnant, schedule a doctor’s appointment immediately. This is the first and foremost thing to be done.
- Eat the right amount of food and the right quality of food during pregnancy.
- Strictly avoid smoking (active and passive), alcohol, drugs and other unhealthy habits. These drugs and substances also lead to many complications for the mother and child.
- Among them death, premature delivery, abortion, birth defects, brain and heart damage are the most lethal forms of problems.
- Read good books, talk to your loved ones, join support groups, write journals, pursue creative hobbies, listen to music, talk to the little one growing inside. All these would add upto overall feeling of wellbeing for you and the life growing within you.
- Do not wear too tight clothes, do not self-medicate and do not go into unhygenic conditions.
- Prior to your delivery talk to your doctor whether you want to opt for a normal delivery or a c-section.
- With a little bit of effort, carefulness and loads of happiness the little one you would bring into this world will be your best creation.
- For some the route to conception is very easy, while for others it is a bumpy ride. In any case, keep trying, keep the spark of your love and affection, keep yourself well-aware of the medical-biological-physical-psychological aspects and never lose hope.
- With positive thinking, determination and strength the road to conception can surely at the milestone of holding and cuddling your baby in your arms.